This past weekend, I went on a 8 mile hike just right outside of town and brought these lovely little protein bites along. Lately instead of making granola bars, I’ve been making protein balls. I have started a recipe I found online and made small changes each time until it evolved into this one, now completely different from the original.
Oatmeal Raisin Protein Bites (makes about 25 bites)
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 21 brazil nuts
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1/8 tsp himalayan pink sea salt
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 scoop Vega Vanilla Protein & Greens (or your favorite protein powder/additional 1/4c oats or almond flour)
- 1 pitted date, cut in half
- 2 TBS coconut oil
- 1/3 cup water, add more if needed
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 cups rolled oats
- Soak brazil nuts and walnuts in fresh water overnight (or at least a couple hours). Drain.
- Add brazil nuts, walnuts, mama, salt, cinnamon, almond flour, protein powder, date, and coconut oil in blender or food processor (I use my nutribullet). Add some of the water. Blend. Add more water if it is not combining, scrape down the sides, and blend again!
- When the ingredients are well blended and are sticky, add rolled oats and raisins. Stir to combine.
- Place the mixture in the fridge for a little bit to set up and so it is easier to handle.
- Using a small 2TBS scoop, scoop out into small balls, roll (I recommend wetting your hands a little so the mixture doesn’t stick to everything), and place in the freezer to set! You can store in the freezer or in the fridge.